Director, Operational Excellence
DynaEnergetics, Blum, TX, USA
The Director, Operational Excellence (OpEx) is being tasked with developing a continuous improvement road map and leading the DynaEnergetics Operational Excellence function for a multi-site business with a diverse portfolio of manufacturing processes in the Americas (AME).
Managerial responsibilities include both strategic planning and day-to-day operations of Continuous Improvement/Lean Program, Facility & Equipment Maintenance, Manufacturing Process Engineering, Product Engineering and Operations Capex oversight.
This role has extensive interactions with areas such as Manufacturing Operations, Supply Chain, Distribution & Logistics, Product Management/R&D, Finance, Human Resources and Hygiene, Safety and Environmental.
This is a highly visible position within the DynaEnergetics AME organization and the scope could be extended beyond DynaEnergetics AME after 12-18 months for the successful candidate.
- Bachelor’s Degree, ideally in Engineering or Business
- MBA preferred but not required
- Lean and/or Six Sigma Black Belt certified; Master Black Belt ideal
- Minimum 10-15 years of experience in Operations/Operational Excellence roles with proven track record of planning, execution and timely delivery of strategic business projects and programs
- Minimum 10+ years of experience in manufacturing environment, ideally in metal fabrication/CNC machining and assembly
- Excellent project management skills, PMP certification preferred
- Experience in identifying, preparing and executing multi-million dollar capex projects
- Extensive exposure to manufacturing engineering and facility & equipment maintenance management (ideally launched career in manufacturing engineering and successfully led facility & equipment maintenance department)
- Demonstrated knowledge of and familiarity with a variety of TPS/Lean Six Sigma tools such as VSM, Standard Work, Pull Systems & Kanban, SIOP, 5S/Visual Management, SMED, TPM, Kaizen etc.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Visio)
- Exceptional skills in leadership, coaching, training, analytical problem solving and strong business acumen
- Able to build relationships, able to negotiate, influence and manage change in matrix environment
- Superior verbal and written communication, presentation and interpersonal skills, addressing different levels of the organization from hourly shop floor personnel to corporate CEO
- Data-driven and excellent decision making
- Able to work in fast-paced environment and multi-task effectively
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills
- German language skills a plus but not required
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads and manages all aspects of continuous improvement, manufacturing & product engineering and facility & equipment maintenance efforts within the DE AME organization, including strategy, organization development and deployment
- Key contributor to creating and executing the factory business plan
- Acts as the Lean Sensei for the different locations
- Establishes a clear set of leading Value Stream and Operational Metrics that ensures early identification of issues to allow timely corrective action
- Develops business improvement planning processes that align and prioritize improvement projects linked to business strategy and business planning at corporate and operational levels
- Provides the necessary leadership to promote change throughout the organization and continue to develop and lead world class continuous improvement practices
- Facilitates the selection and scope of specific improvement projects while coordinating with leaders to eliminate barriers and raise awareness if / when needed
- Collaborates with leadership cross-functionally to ensure effective execution of improvement projects while reviewing P&L scope, resources needs and business objectives
- Establishes a culture of accountability throughout the organization by facilitating an effective goal deployment process that aligns with business unit and corporate goals
- Create end-to-end Value Stream Mapping and data collection plans to scope and identify opportunities that positively impact up-stream and down-stream partners.
- Integrates Six Sigma/Lean Manufacturing tools into the business operations across the division to identify and eliminate waste, organize around Lean processes and deliver excellence on safety, environmental, quality, productivity and cost
- Leads cross functional teams in understanding the current condition of assigned processes/systems, develop target condition, establish plans to close the gap and coach teams to successfully achieve the target condition
- Builds, maintains and leverages relationships across the matrix to identify opportunities for process improvement and facilitates the implementation and continuous monitoring of processes and staying up to date on developments in process improvement methodologies and best practices
- Coaches / mentors stakeholders at all levels to support them through the adoption of lean principles and practices
- Supports cost management by making implementation choices consistent with financial goals, manages high level performance by taking into account recommendations from project leaders and participants
- Actively builds organization wide support for strategic initiative implementation and change management to help drive “best practices” across the business units.
- Manages the hiring, direction, assessment and development of team members
- Creates project plans, timelines, critical paths and milestones; performs cost-benefit evaluation for all assigned projects to define potential financial, business and industry impact of initiatives.
- This job has supervisory responsibilities and requires providing verbal and written direction to personnel at all levels within the organization and third parties
- Authorized to sign in accordance with DynaEnergetics financial authorization limits.
- Authorized to spend approved CAPEX and budgeted expenses in accordance with DynaEnergetics financial authorization limits.
Blum, TX, USA