Summary Job Description
The Purchasing Agent is responsible for the procurement and management of raw materials to support NobelClad’s US operation. The purchasing agent will apply best practices in supply management to reduce total cost of ownership and drive profitability.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Issues request for quotes (RFQ), performs bid evaluations, negotiates pricing and ensures metals are purchased at the most competitive price.
- Reviews raw material supply plan for potential delivery and technical issues prior to order placement and mitigates any risk to the supply chain.
- Manages all purchasing activities and establishes purchasing processes and procedures as needed.
- Maintains up to date metal pricing in a database for use by the sales team in quoting upcoming projects.
- Evaluates potential suppliers for capability, quality and pricing and works to qualify new suppliers in support of Nobelclad products.
- Maintains good professional relationships with suppliers and other third parties and arranges visits to supplier facilities.
- Analyzes procurement and pricing trends to implement and maintain strategic inventory programs.
- Understands and stays up to date on current market conditions for metals and suppliers for potential impact to Nobelclad products.
- Performs regular audits on imported metal and ensures all imports are aligned with Nobelclad compliance policy.
- Works to develop and implement purchasing programs that continuously reduce total cost of ownership.
- Works with supply chain manager to expedite late raw material orders.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- A track record of controlling and reducing spend while developing a robust supplier base.
- Experience with modern procurement and purchasing techniques.
- Excellent price negotiation and contract management skills.
- Ability to read and interpret technical requirements, and material and engineering specifications.
- High level of competency with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Experience working with ERP systems
- Good communicator (written and verbal) and ability to build strong, effective relationships with team members, work colleagues and suppliers.
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment and familiarity with Lean manufacturing methodology.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering or business discipline.
- 3-5 years’ experience negotiating purchases and managing suppliers
- Certification with ISM or APICS preferred
- Salary - $80,000 - $85,000
- Bonus – 10%
- Benefits: Healthcare, Health Saving Account, Employee Assistance Program, Tuition Assistance, Parental Leave, Life Insurance, Dental, Vision, 401k, Short/Long Term Disability, ESPP, PTO, and certain other leave benefits as may be required by applicable law.
DMC values diversity of culture and thought and seeks talented, qualified employees in all its operations around the world regardless of race, gender, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other protected classification under country or local law. DMC is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.